Monday, August 17, 2009

On the Weather and Some Books...

It's a hot one today. Grossly hot, like, oh my God, even my thumb is sweating hot. I think it makes people a little crazy. I mean, I was walking through the parking lot earlier, and I swear to God I saw a giant, black, poodle on the other side of the street. It was a mirage! There was of course no actual poodle, but the steamy haze coming off of the concrete sure made it look like there was.

This heat makes people a little crazy for sure.

I went to get gas this morning, and I go inside to pay. The cashier was then randomly like, "I"m watching the X-Files", gesturing towards one of those little dvd players sitting on the counter, that I a)did not even notice, and b) therefore did not ask about. So I said, "oh yeah..'. Then he proceeded to tell me the entire plot of the episode. "It's this one where Scully is examining this body, and some guys are like "Scully, can you tell us how he died", and Scully's all like, "oh I'll tell you", then it's like 1, 2, 3, beeeeeeeeeep.". Except it was longer than that and made even less sense. I had no response other than staring and smiling, because I wasn't too sure why he was even telling me this, or if I had somehow made him uncomfortable so he felt the need to make idle chit chat for way longer than we originally would have been talking anyway. At 8:30am, I don't have the patience for people like this. Especially when it's hot, and I haven't even started work yet and I"m already sweating through my clothes. I like the X-Files as much as the rest of the population, but I don't go around talking about random plot lines of the show for no apparent reason. It was a weird start to my morning.

The rest of the day has consisted of more sweating, getting bumped into by a drunk guy on the street, and listening to a verbal smackdown in front of Tim Hortons. What a day so far!

I can't wait to play two games of softball tonight! I will not be moving very quickly no matter how bad we are losing. It's so hot, it's like you can swim through the air. All I want to do is sit on a hammock (if I had one) and read.

Speaking of reading, here are some excellent books I've read lately:


I'm not a great book reviewer...I usually can only say I like it or I don't. This book, I loved. He does a great job of telling the stories of this entire family over several generations.


Jen Lancaster is a funny, funny lady.


Rebecca Wells is one of my favourite authors of all time. I love the world she brings to life. I'm only half way through this book, but it is pretty great so far.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails