Saturday, November 15, 2008

haha Universe

I just spent the night at a lovely literary event, one which served as the large kick in the ass that I needed. That I continually need really. Something about being surrounded by other writers just feels comforting. Like, okay, maybe I can do this.

At one point someone sitting at my table said to me,

"So, are you a writer?"

To which I replied, "Yes. Erm, well, I try"

I still haven't quite figured out what I have to do to define myself as a writer. I write things, but does that make me a writer? I don't know. I like to dance too, but that doesn't make me a dancer. You know. It's a hard question to answer. I would like TO BE a writer, but I don't know if merely wanting it really badly is enough to warrant me actually calling myself one. Jury is out on this question.

The last time I took a writing course, I had the most wonderful teacher. She was one of the speakers at tonights little function. I still find her quite wonderful, and I really wish she were my teacher again. I find her inspiring, and I suppose she makes me feel like maybe I am a writer. It is really nice to have someone who does what you want to do, someone you admire and look up to say they are proud of you. It made me feel warm and fuzzy and a little bit hopeful.

I got home and went to check my email. What is waiting in there but yet another rejection, from yet another literary magazine. At least they got back to me I guess. Honestly, the rejections don't bug me too much, they just kinda make me want to try harder. I just found it funny that on the same night I went and got a kick in the ass, and a warm fuzzy feeling, that showed up. En.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails