Friday, May 16, 2008

Ahhh the weekend.

Sometimes, it worries me how easily distractable I am. I can get distracted, and then have random thoughts that go on for a long long time. Today, I was at work, there was a cup of tea sitting on the desk that I had in the morning when I got there. But by this time (twas mid afternoon), the cup of tea was cold. And that got me to thinking, isn't it weird, how cold things become warm, and then warm things become cold? I concluded that eventually...everything just becomes room temperature...but really? That train of thought took up a little too much of my time.

What can I say though? I'm a daydreamer, I've been that way all my life. I don't know if it comes from being an only child or what, but I can live in my thoughts for scary amounts of time. I used to get in trouble in school for staring out the window. "Pay attention!" teachers would scold. I wanted to be like, "umm I am paying attention....just not to you." Windows are just asking to be stared out of. Seriously, if I have to chose between listening to a teacher prattle on about something I could care less about, or watching life happen outside the window and getting completely lost in my thoughts, the choice is quite clearly going to be the latter.

A Little Blurb About Church

My ability to imagine has gotten me through a whole lot of boring moments in life. Like church. My parents used to drag me to mass every Sunday. And church...is boring. Even now, it bores me. Sometimes I will think to myself, "I should really go to church", but then a very little voice in the back of my mind always say, "umm dude, do you REMEMBER church?"

When I was little, an active imagination helped that hour long mass pass go a leeeetle bit quicker. I would make up elaborate life stories of all the people surrounding me, think of what they had for breakfast, what their names might be, what their job was. While people chanted and sung all around me, I was miles away. Every so often the choir and the other random people who actually sang in church would sing a "lively" church song, and that would snap me out of it, but lively rarely happened in my church, so I was pretty free to daydream away. "Lively" Catholic Church songs included: Be Not Afraid, a song about Mountains, and Joy to the World at Christmastime. (Sidenote: I just spent entirely too long googling Catholic hymns...entirely too long...see how easily the distraction happens?) All I remember is, as soon as we got to Church, I would grab that Catholic Book of Worship, and look up at the numbers on the wall to see what songs we would be singing. If I didn't recognize any, that was it for me for the rest of the mass.

I also snapped back to life for that whole hand shaking, "peace be with you" part of mass, because that was awesome. I think most people can agree on that one. It was especially great when people would just wave from down the aisle and be like "peace!". Shortforming the peace be with you. That was always a funny part of mass, because it was like EVERYBODY was suddenly awake, and getting all exited, "oh, oh, it's time to shake hands. John, wake up, it's time to shake hands!!!". As then as soon as it was over, there was an almost audible sigh, and then everyone would zone out again.

It's time for the APOSTLES CREED! oh man. I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the creator of Heaven and Earth. How is it that these things are still stuck in my head when I haven't been to Church in years??

They will know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love. Who is they exactly?The gatekeepers of heaven? Non Christians? Who?

I also liked at the end of mass when everybody got up to leave. All of a sudden the music would get all up and lively, and people would practically skip out of there. Why did everyone skip? Was it because they felt so holy and renewed, or were they just glad that mass was over? I can't speak for everyone, but I was skipping towards the fresh air and the rest of my Sunday! It was honestly like being released. I felt a whole lot more holy and renewed once I breathed in the fresh air, saw the trees, heard the birds , and went to let my dog out at home. That was a more tangible piece of God then any kind of bread, wine or chant.

I don't doubt that some people love Church, and find great comfort in it. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Church and me though...we just never clicked.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails