Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Strong Women

It has never been my experience in life where I have been surrounded by strong women. Okay, wait, I take that back. It has never been my experience in life where I have been surrounded by strong women in a professional situation. The women in my personal, most specifically, my lady family members, are all women I have looked up to for my entire life, all for entirely different reasons. But that is another entry for another day.

In the workplace, I was never really surrounded by any women that made me think I could accomplish anything substantial. I mean, perhaps it was just the jobs I had, but for the most part, when I looked at the women I worked at up until about 8 months ago, I was left feeling a little bit needy. I was wanting a woman I could learn from, who could guide me, and show me that women can do anything men can do, and sometimes they can do it better. I'm not saying the women I have worked with in the past have not been special, a lot of them have been phenomenal in their own way. Whether it was incredible kindness, incredible humour, or incredible bitchiness, I have met more than my fair share of women I admire.

I guess what I was lacking was the expertise and the guidance of a motivated women. One who wants to change the world, and make the community she lives in a better place. I'm not saying that everyone needs to want to change the world, shit, that's a lot of work. Total seriousness. But when I did meet one of those women, I was amazed. I adored her and her complete vision and genius. She was, and she is, someone I looked at, and thought, wow, I want to be her. So I met her, and I shared an office with her, and I learned from her.

What I learned from that whole process of meeting her, was that these motivated women are everywhere, you just have to look in the right places. And maybe my idea of a motivated women is someone elses idea of a crazy idealist. Who the shit knows. But now, I've positioned myself in a place where I am surrounded by these motivated women for a lot of my time. And all I'm saying is, they make me want to be a better, smarter person, and that's what I have been looking for.

I don't know if I"m articulating these thoughts accurately, they are after all, still stewing in my brain. So I guess it's to be continued....all I'm saying is, I'm grateful for these women at this point in my life, cause god knows when you are in your 20s you need all the guidance you can get.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails